David

Maken Bacon

Hello Peeps, New to the Bacon lovers forum. Me and my wife love bacon so we decided to make our own out of a 5lb Pork belly, Salted , koshersalt, brown sugar, and black pepper, and pink curing salt. it for 7 days, then smoked it with apple chips, Taste great, but tastes just like ham. Is this normal for home made bacon?, or did I do something wrong?

Hey David. I think I know your problem! A good rule of thumb is to cure the pork belly for 2 days/lb of raw meat. 7 days would not be enough time to properly cure a 5lb belly. I would think that the moisture removed in the last 3 days would make it taste less like ham. Also, if your belly was lean, there is a good chance that might have contributed to the ham-like taste. Bacon has its unique taste because of the fat...as I always say "fat is where the flava is". I wrote an article a while back about how to cure pork belly, you can check it out for a few tips & tricks to make sure your final product comes out right next time! http://www.whatisbacon.com/diy-bacon-how-to-cure-a-pork-belly/

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.