Kevin

Non-American Bacon

To the rest of the world... for the record, we call this "thinly sliced ham", not bacon! :p

oWP20.jpg

In that case I had better point out that in England this is considered bacon, and as you can see its part of a fry up which is just about the only thing we can cook:

2037131495_Fryup.jpg.79d4a00c941cd8d434b17079ec69c490.jpg

I may be wrong but according to a buddy that moved to Texas you eat are fond of what we call streaky bacon:)

I may be wrong but according to a buddy that moved to Texas you eat are fond of what we call streaky bacon:)

Indeed. US & Canadian "bacon" is from pork bellies while UK "bacon" from the back cut of the pig.

You'd love it, let's get real :p

That is also what we call bacon here in Australia.

You don't see the sort you call bacon in America here, unless it is attached to the round eye part as well, but not on it's own.

I personally don't buy it coz the fat content is too high (even though I love it!)

That is also what we call bacon here in Australia.

I am starting to think that, much like other things in life, what we call something here in the US is unique to us while the rest of the world calls it something else.

You don't see the sort you call bacon in America here, unless it is attached to the round eye part as well, but not on it's own.

I personally don't buy it coz the fat content is too high (even though I love it!)

Is it called anything different like "streaky bacon" as the UK does?

I have only ever seen your sort of bacon sold here once, and it was called American Bacon then.

Mostly you get either the whole deal, which is the part you eat still attached to the round bit... or just the round bit.

I love those ones, with your bit still attached and all the fat and rind, but I don't buy it as it is too fatty.

This is what I buy, just the round bit :p

Bacon.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.