• Bacon Forum is a community for everybody! If you love bacon or just want a spot to hang out with some friends then this is the place for you!

Starting to dislike my truck

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Last summer I had to replace the engine in my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee to the tune of about $5,500. About a month ago somebody sideswiped me; while it was in the shop for the insurance work I had them take care of some rust & other dings which ended up being $2,000 out of my pocket. Got it back from the body shop and the A/C died. There went another $1,000.

Now driving to work this morning my speedometer starts going nuts before finally dying altogether and the check engine light going on. Sluggish shifting. Guess where I'll be Monday morning? :X3:

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
So my Monday just kept getting better. Truck was in the shop because of the problem above [note to others: do not attempt to record video while driving, it was foolish of me to do so :eek:] so I worked from home. At some point I looked out the kitchen window and noticed that the water level in the pool was about a foot below where it usually is. That is never a good thing. Head outside to see the hose coming from the filter pump was cracked and water was going out into the yard instead of going back into the pool. <sigh>

Forsaken

Lord of all bacon
Last summer I had to replace the engine in my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee to the tune of about $5,500. About a month ago somebody sideswiped me; while it was in the shop for the insurance work I had them take care of some rust & other dings which ended up being $2,000 out of my pocket. Got it back from the body shop and the A/C died. There went another $1,000.

Now driving to work this morning my speedometer starts going nuts before finally dying altogether and the check engine light going on. Sluggish shifting. Guess where I'll be Monday morning? :X3:

It sounds like it would have been cheaper to have just bought a new truck :p.

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
It sounds like it would have been cheaper to have just bought a new truck :p.
It had occurred to me too late that my investment in repairs & work has matched, if not exceeded, the blue book value of the vehicle. D'oh! :X3: This will be the last Summer of major repairs for it. The plan now is to keep it running for a few more years until a replacement is feasible.

Forsaken

Lord of all bacon
It had occurred to me too late that my investment in repairs & work has matched, if not exceeded, the blue book value of the vehicle. D'oh! :X3: This will be the last Summer of major repairs for it. The plan now is to keep it running for a few more years until a replacement is feasible.
Once my vehicles start needing major repairs, I'll either trade in or sell it off and get a new car :sneaky:.