Bacon wrapped hot dogs is something that my Mom used to make for us when we were kids. It is a meal item that can be made a lot of different ways. The method below is one of the simplest ways and makes for a fun cooking activity that you can let your kids help with.
- 8 hot dogs (8 is the the standard number that comes in a pack of hot dogs in the US)
- 8 slices of bacon, thinly sliced (one slice for each hot dog to be cooked; avoid the extra-thick sliced style of bacon and the breakfast oriented flavors like maple bacon)
- 8 hot dog buns
- Favorite hot dog toppings & condiments
- Pre-heat oven to 400*F.
- Wrap 1 slice of bacon around each hot dog. Try to get it wrapped tightly.
- Place hot dogs on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place cookie sheet on middle rack of 400*F oven.
- Bake for around 13 minutes or until the hot dogs have been browned & thoroughly cooked. Additional cooking time may be required depending upon your oven.
- After removing from oven, place hot dogs in buns.
- Serve immediately to your guests allowing them to top their hot dogs with their favorite topping & condiments.
- As the bacon cooks it will shrink and curl. To help the bacon stay on the hot dog you can optionally insert a toothpick through each end of the hot dog after wrapping it in bacon. Just be sure to remove the toothpicks before serving. If you have your kids help you wrap the hot dogs use your judgement before letting them insert the toothpicks themselves. You could have them wrap the hot dog but let an adult insert the toothpicks.
- Experiment! Bacon wrapped hot dogs are really easy to make so try different seasonings, different types of bacon, and different cooking techniques like putting them on your grill instead of baking them in the oven.