• Bacon Forum is a community for everybody! If you love bacon or just want a spot to hang out with some friends then this is the place for you!

Bacon: How It's Made

Bacon Lee

Bacon Bot
Staff member
"How It's Made" is a show that airs in the US on the Discovery & Science Channels. Each episode covers includes several products and shows how that product is made. Below is their clip showing how pre-cooked bacon for supermarkets is made.

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Anybody recognize the brand? I dislike pre-made bacon (except for bacon bits for my salads) and won't use it for anything other than to give to Buster on occasion.

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Premade is what's mostly available here LOL
That is depressing! Is the pre-made stuff what @BaconBitch calls "American cardboard" bacon? I would have figured that it'd be the other way around, that with being slightly more rural that you would have access to fresh bacon from butcher shops.

BirdOPrey5

The only time I used pre-cook bacon was with my "egg mcmuffin" maker thing. There is a tray to heat up pre-cooked bacon or other meat.

It actually is usually pretty good.

Forsaken

Lord of all bacon
I rarely ever buy mass-produced bacon, just because it generally isn't good, and the flavoring is often added (Its lost in the manufacturing process).

Theres a great butcher near my stepdads I go too that does bacon (And will even do it to order if you ask in advance), and the taste is just like a billion times better (Literally meat candy). Funnily enough, its in the Jewish neighborhood :p.

I've also smoked and cured my own bacon, and that comes out way better than anything you'll buy from a store (Excluding amazing meat magician butchers).

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
The only time I used pre-cook bacon was with my "egg mcmuffin" maker thing. There is a tray to heat up pre-cooked bacon or other meat.

It actually is usually pretty good.
Do you still use it? I've seen them on various sites but always figured they were more gimmick then functional.

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
I rarely ever buy mass-produced bacon, just because it generally isn't good, and the flavoring is often added (Its lost in the manufacturing process).
Just the phrase "mass-produced bacon" sounds so.... wrong.

I've also smoked and cured my own bacon, and that comes out way better than anything you'll buy from a store (Excluding amazing meat magician butchers).
You know pics are in order :p ... there is a Bacon Recipes forum that would be perfect for posting details of your home smoking & curing. :D

BaconBitch

Administrator
I worked for a company back in High School that made a lot of meats, bacon was one of them.
I never "worked" on that line, but I was close and could see the process.
Here is their website along with a picture :)

http://www.fanestils.com/products/assorted-packages/bacon-sampler/

That place was amazing at some aspects, great flavors in the air depending on what side of that plant you're on..lol

View attachment 81
Just out of curiosity. How much would that slab of bacon cost in the states, in the image?

Forsaken

Lord of all bacon
Just the phrase "mass-produced bacon" sounds so.... wrong.

You know pics are in order :p ... there is a Bacon Recipes forum that would be perfect for posting details of your home smoking & curing. :D
It is wrong, it's also why I barely buy bacon at a store and pay like 4x more for real bacon. The taste is literally meat candy :p.

I won't be able to do any smoking until I move into my new place (Unless my stepdad is willing to lend me his backyard for a while, which he might as it involves bacon). I'm planning on building a full smoker for BBQ and curing meats in my new place, so I'll have lots of pictures to share then lol.

Criss P

Bacon Eating Fat Twat
I don't care really care how bacon is made or packaged, if when cooked it tastes like bacon, i'll eat it.....straight off the pig if necessary (cooked obviously) :)