• Bacon Forum is a community for everybody! If you love bacon or just want a spot to hang out with some friends then this is the place for you!

4th of July 2012!

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
For the US, happy 4th of July tomorrow! :cool:

So how will you be spending the day? My wife & I will be visiting family for some outside grilling and watching fireworks. Maybe head in our pool for a bit in the afternoon.

SmokeyBaconBitch

Administrator
Staff member
Hope you guys have a good day. Since it's not something we celebrate in the UK (but hey, we have holidays that you don't celebrate :D) my day will be the usual housework, surfing the net and wondering how the human race managed to get beyond the 2nd generation because most parents want to kill their kids :D

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Hope you guys have a good day.
It is one our big outside holidays with plenty of grilling and fireworks. Usually lots & lots of fireworks. :D I think half of corporate USA is already on holiday today; sure some might still be on the office but not a whole lot is actually getting done.

.. my day will be the usual housework, surfing the net and wondering how the human race managed to get beyond the 2nd generation because most parents want to kill their kids :D
:giggle:

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Every year the local 'big' town has a 4th of July festival at a park. Some of you would call it a fair. It lasts for a few days leading up to the 4th and culminates on the evening of the 4th with a fireworks display. On one of the days they have hot air balloons that take off from the park and is usually a pretty cool sight to watch on a lazy day. Tonight the balloons were launched.

The park is on the other side of town. From our house it isn't uncommon to see a balloon flying over some of the wooded areas. It is uncommon however to see them in my backyard! :eek:

My dog started going nuts barking towards the window. When I looked out to see what he was barking at, usually a rabbit, the hot air balloon was lower than the trees and moving closer to us. By the time I grabbed my phone it had veered off and risen above the tree lines.

Yes, that is a giant yellow rubber ducky in the pool. :D

southernlady

Yeap, while our cats were okay (they are inside only cats), our dogs whined all night (and yes they were inside too).

Liz

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Yeap, while our cats were okay (they are inside only cats), our dogs whined all night (and yes they were inside too).
Poor dogs. :( After ours got through the fireworks a big thunder storm came through around midnight so he spent another hour barking at that.

It is just a good thing that we weren't near San Diego, California. Turns out that they had a bit of a snafu. What was supposed to be a 20 minute show turned out to be a 15 second show when everything fired off off at once! :eek: The fireworks were being launched from barges in the water and shortly before the scheduled time of the show they all went off at once.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/07/san-diego-bay-fireworks-ignite-all-at-once-botching-show.html