1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pig Candy

Discussion in 'Bacon Recipes' started by southernlady, Jul 2, 2012.

1. southernlady
    Hot

southernlady New Member

Pig Candy 101

You must have proper pans to make it or your screwed :) The bacon must be elevated so the grease and excess melted sugar can drip down off the bacon so it gets crispy. I use both a broiler pan covered in foil (both pieces) with holes pokes in the slits and the second is a jelly roll pan ... with a cookie cooling rack over it.

Heat oven to 350

Pig Candy .... 2 ingredients!

Bacon (thick or thin depending on your preference)
    Brown Sugar (I use light but many use dark ... and I've heard people use brown sugar splenda too)

Dredge bacon to coat as best as you can.

Lay bacon next to each other on the prepared pans.

You can sprinkle a little extra sugar on if you want .... or sprinkle a little cayenne pepper if you like Sweet Salty and Hot :)

Bake at 350 for 25 mins or so. You can decide when to take it out. I enjoy it out earlier ... it doesn't get as crispy and the sugar stays a little "sticky" .... AND ... I enjoy leaving it in long ... watching it doesn't burn though which produces a crunchy bacon and the sugar hardens once cooled to a crackle candy caramelized around wonderful bacon goodness :)

Plan on making a bunch because you will be eating it warm :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kevin
    Cheerful

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Member

Sounds quite good! :cool:

3. SmokeyBaconBitch
    Tired

SmokeyBaconBitch Administrator Staff Member

What were you thinking? :ROFLMAO:

4. southernlady
    Hot

southernlady New Member

Doing a copy and paste from elsewhere...and since it is a correctly spelled word, it didn't pick it up, LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. marriedtobacon

marriedtobacon New Member

I love pig candy! I wrote an article about it on my site a bit back. I will provide the link at the end of this reply. My trick is to use a soft bristled brush, dip it in a viscous sweetener like honey or agave nectar, coat the strips, and then sprinkle on the cayenne/chili/brown sugar. So. damn. delicious. http://www.whatisbacon.com/man-candy-recipe-how-to-make-sweet-spicy-bacon/