1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nexus 7 Tablet by Google

Discussion in 'Open Chat' started by BaconBitch, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Kevin
    Cheerful

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Member

Sounds about right! :LOL:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Kevin
    Cheerful

So who has received their new toy tablet?

3. SmokeyBaconBitch
    Tired

SmokeyBaconBitch Administrator Staff Member

Got it Wednesday.. LOVE IT!!!!!!

4. Kevin
    Cheerful

So has anybody tried the Kindle app' on it yet? I'm due for buying a new round of reading material but am thinking if the Kindle app' is pretty good on it then I'd try that route.

5. BaconBitch
    Creative

BaconBitch Administrator Staff Member

I received mine the day after az but haven't really be using it alot. The OS is nice, smooth. But I have a couple of sticking points. The headphone connector is at the bottom of the tablet where the usb power goes so if your like me that likes to watch netflix in bed and you connect it to a dock your not going to be able to use ear/head phones. Another little issue i don't like in landscape mode the chrome browser wont switch to landscape same with gmail which means you'll have to scroll horizontally to read it. More so if images within the e-mail are included.

Overall though there is some kind of connector on the side so I assume and rumor has it that asus are building a new docking station that can sit horizontally which would mean the headphones can be used. That's just rumour though and something i read in a members post at xda-developers.

Overall. The screen/picture is crisp. Sound is good and movie playback very smooth. So speed isn't an issue with this tablet. I haven't tried any kindle app out yet because i don't have any books from amazon. But I like the tablet it's great for checking my e-mail but I'm finding that I'm not using it as much as I first anticipated but my netflix works which is good so I'm happy.

6. SmokeyBaconBitch
    Tired

SmokeyBaconBitch Administrator Staff Member

Kindle app is fab. Nice and smooth - I've read about 10 books on it so far :D. Works just like the kindle - remembers where you're up to, lists books. The only downside I find is, because I'm used to being able to put my books in categories on the kindle - I miss the fact I can't on the app. Maybe they'll update that at some point.

I'm not affected by the things Shelley doesn't like since I don't like surfing chrome and email in landscape mode :D and I don't plug in headphones to listen to it in bed or dock it to anything. I'm very very happy with it!

7. Kevin
    Cheerful

What resolution is Netflix displaying at? If I understand correctly the Nexus tablet is not 16:9 ratio so widescreen movies would end up either getting chopped or slightly distorted.

8. Kevin
    Cheerful

... and just when I'm about to pull the trigger to place an order the 16gb version is now on back-order with no new orders being accepted. {insert :banghead: smiley here}

I often browse sites and read email in landscape mode on my phone (Motorola Droid 2) so it'd seem weird to me that I could not do that also on the tablet. Headphones I don't use (learned in my 20's that headphones were starting to affect my hearing; haven't used them much since) but the landscape thing would have me puzzled.

9. Forsaken

Forsaken Lord of all bacon

I just got the remaining tablets I had ordered (8 of them!) and after checking to see if there were any of the common defects, went ahead and rooted my developer and personal one (The other ones are presents for people).

Anyone who is interested in rooting their phone should be interested in this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766475

Just realize all data on your tablet is erased, so any games will lose your place on them.

Unlike Shelley, I don't mind the placement of things so much, mostly because the NS4G that I'm replacing in a few hours (With a Galaxy S 3) had similar placement, but crappier placement for power and volume (In landscape I was always hitting the volume keys).

Heres a list of some games and apps people that I've had fun with:

Bold = non-game, Italic = root only (Or for specific features).

For headphones, consider bone conduction ones. They supposedly do not effect hearing as much as IEM or over the ear.

10. Forsaken

Been home for a bit with my new phone (Samsung Galaxy S 3) and I can't decide which is smoother, Jelly Bean, or ICS on this phone. More often than not I hate skins (Looking at you HTC Sense), but actually enjoying this so far.

Still not stopping me from rooting my phone though (y).

11. Kevin
    Cheerful

Woohoo, the 16gb version is available again! :woot: Just ordered two of them to start with; one will be my toy and the other will go to a family member. If those are successful then a few more will join them.

12. Forsaken

Be sure to check your display for dead/still pixels (Check in bright and dark screens) as well as to see if the bezel creaks at all.

13. Kevin
    Cheerful

I saw the discussions about those being possible reasons for the 16gb being delayed but not the 8gb. Interesting theory but I wasn't seeing any possible explanations as to why the bigger memory would cause screen issues not found on the smaller memory version. I will, though, be checking it out. ;)

Did I see a post of yours somewhere recommending a case? The official case at the Play store isn't appealing to me and I thought I remember seeing a post somewhere by you talking about cases.

14. Forsaken

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SA0NIY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 (What I ordered)

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Rotating-Automatic-Horizontal---Lifetime/dp/B007S9ZSGW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1 (Alternative, no free shipping option)

http://www.amazon.com/i-BLASON-Detachable-Landscape-Portrait-Function/dp/B008GFVF3M/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1 (The one I wanted, but no free shipping + more expensive).

I mostly just wanted a nice case that offers the different orientations that came with free shipping (Took 2 hours to search for as Amazon sucks balls with search) as this is what I was getting for my new phone: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089I25YO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

If anyone is getting a new phone, I highly recommend the Samsung Galaxy S3. Experience is completely solid, nearly as slick and clean as Jelly Bean (I might nerdgasm when they do upgrade to Jelly Bean), and just very impressive overall.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. The reason to check the display for dead/still pixels and if there is screen lift as those are defects in both versions of the tablet. It isn't that common, but a lot of people make it out to be (I've had no issues with the Google Play ordered ones).

15. Kevin
    Cheerful

16. Kevin
    Cheerful

So far no issues with either unit; no discernible dead pixels and, even after poking & prodding, the glass seems to be still firmly in place with no separation. Also haven't picked up any cases yet; am seeing reports that Asus will soon be releasing some of their accessories and so I'm torn on whether to wait or to get some 3rd party cases now.

At the house the Nexus has become the gadget of choice for checking email, Twitter, news, and the such. I've also loaded up quite a collection of ebooks on it and will be trying it out as an ereader. I prefer physical books and have resided the allure of a Kindle but with the Nexus becoming my home device I may as well try it out with some ebooks (those who have stumbled across Cool Sci-Fi know that some of the authors release free ebooks :)).

The downside? My Droid 2 & wife's Droid Pro now seem minuscule & outdated.

17. Forsaken

I'd get that i-Blason case I pointed out, as its suppose to be very solid. Most of the time OEM cases aren't all that impressive, and I prefer buying a 3rd parties.

For e-reading, I suggest https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aldiko.android&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmFsZGlrby5hbmRyb2lkIl0]Aldiko[/url]. You can use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ucr.aldikosync.unlock&feature=nav_other#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDYsImNvbS51Y3IuYWxkaWtvc3luYy51bmxvY2siXQ]Aldiko Sync[/url] which will let you sync ebooks and where you're at through dropbox through any # of devices. Aldiko plans on introducing support for Google Drive or Dropbox later this year, after they release Annotation support.

My problem is the opposite... I'm finding myself only using my Nexus 7 at night as my Samsung Galaxy S3 is just amazing. Just as smooth as Jelly Bean, and a beast of raw performance. All I do on my Nexus 7 now is eread, play games (occasionally) or read comics.

18. Kevin
    Cheerful

Find myself with a quirk that is starting to annoy me. When using the Google+ app' it would seem that I can not change the photo I'm currently viewing, instead I have to go back to browsing thumbnails and view each image individually. Being able to slide to the next image, like when viewing the Gallery of local images, is not there. :wtf:

... on a different note, I'm of the mind that indecision is worse than no decision so I've picked up two of the Google rubber cases for now to at least give some basic sense of protection. Will pick up some 'real' cases at a later date.

19. Kevin
    Cheerful

A bit amazing how prescient Dilbert can be!

[​IMG]

20. Kevin
    Cheerful

Have realized that there is no official Google Tasks app' nor functionality for it in Google Mail. On the desktop Tasks is a function within Mail but oddly there is no mobile offering. Will be trying out Astrid since that syncs with Google Tasks.