1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nexus 7 Tablet by Google

Discussion in 'Open Chat' started by BaconBitch, Jun 27, 2012.

1. BaconBitch
    Creative

BaconBitch Administrator Staff Member

So what are your thoughts on this tablet which will be using the latest OS codename: Jellybean? Looking at the tech specs I think it'll be a good seller myself and I definitely see it as rivaling the kindle fire. I've just placed an order for one so quite eager to see it in action when it arrives.

So what do you think?

Link: https://www.google.co.uk/nexus/#/

2. Kevin
    Cheerful

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Member

For what I have in mind for home use I think it is going to work out great. Power users might not like that there is no rear camera nor any SD slot but the specs work great as a device that is above the Nook/Kindle Fire level aimed at people who want just a little bit more out of the device but don't need all of the features of higher-priced models.

At work we've been looking at using some tablets in our warehouses to allow the teams to do more around the buildings instead of having to use a desktop. I've actually been waiting for the Nexus tablet to be released to see how it will work in that warehouse environment. From what I've been reading so far it looks like it'll work nicely.

TL;DR: I think it hits a nice sweet spot in specs & price and will be trying to get my hands on one to check it out for both home & work.

3. BaconBitch
    Creative

I'm not to fussed about the lack of a sd/micro sd slot. I wanting to use it primarily for netflix and streaming on youtube (I watch alot of documentary's) so i think the size is perfect and the tablet will be adequate for what I want to use it for.

I would have thought they would have thrown in a case but it looks like you need to purchase one which at this time is unavailable to the uk. But eitherway i'm not fussed it's a good price and I went for the 16gig model.

4. SmokeyBaconBitch
    Tired

SmokeyBaconBitch Administrator Staff Member

How is it as an ebook reader?

5. Kevin
    Cheerful

They seem to be promoting it as a step-up to the Amazon Fire and the demos shown so far have shown book titles. If nothing else you could always run the Amazon Kindle app' on it. :D

6. BaconBitch
    Creative

*starts to bookmark apps and books that I'll be purchasing*

Reading more about the nexus 7 it's definitely getting a lot of good reviews. Personally, i think this is a good thing google bringing out a low cost tablet and it's going to make the other tablet manufacturers re-think their pricing strategy. Could this be the start of low cost tablets at an affordable price for the consumer?

7. SmokeyBaconBitch
    Tired

SmokeyBaconBitch Administrator Staff Member

You're just rubbing it in now!

8. baconlover
    Baconlover

baconlover Member

What? Bacon? :D

9. BaconBitch
    Creative

Yes. Absolutely.

nexus-7.png

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 New Member

It saddens me when manufacturers get SO CLOSE to a GREAT product but leave one the one or two essential features and wind up with a mediocre product instead.

The lack of an SD card is definitely the Achilles heal of this tablet and the number one reason I will not order one. Verizon and other mobile companies are moving away from unlimited and unrestricted data plans jeopardizing the "cloud" storage model- why waste a gig of data listening to streaming music when I could have put my entire mp3 collection on half an SD card?

I hope they fix this in the next version but that is going to be a long time to wait in the tablet world.

11. Kevin
    Cheerful

With my Android 2 I've never needed more than the 8gb SD card because I use a dedicated Zune MP3 player when I am on the road. Plus, with these being WiFi only devices, as long as I can stream from my home network server I'll be good to go at the house. For the 'in-the-middle' market between e-reader devices like the Kindle & Nook and more featured tablets I think they've hit a sweet spot of specs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Kevin
    Cheerful

BTW @BirdOPrey5 ... Welcome to the Bacon forum! :D What type of bacon you like?

13. Forsaken

Forsaken Lord of all bacon

I've ordered three, and am likely to pickup a few more for gifts.

For people who want a bit more information:

CPU: Tegra 3 (Quad-Core, clocked at 1.3Ghz)
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce (Twelve-Core GPU)
    Screen: 1280x800 HD LCD IPS (216 PPI)
    RAM: 1GB
    Storage: 8GB ($199) or 16GB ($249)
    Battery: 4325 mAh (8 hours video, ~300 idling)

This pretty much outdoes every tablet on the market in sheer specs, and the display is suppose to be crisp and very impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kevin
    Cheerful

You and/or @BaconBitch better post your impressions after you get them! I'm considering two... one for me to play experiment with and one for a family member who has a hard time using a laptop but would still like to keep up with email & stuff.

15. Forsaken

I can already tell you now it'll be impressive; I have an Asus Transformer, Asus Transformer Prime, and a lot of other tablets, and the Asus always is the most impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BaconBitch
    Creative

I think it may change my mind about mobile devices which I have never been too fond of so I'll let you know how this one goes when it arrives. *urges google to start shipping early*

• Like Like x 2
  17. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 New Member

The crispier the better!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Forsaken

It really depends on how you use your mobile device. I use my phone as mostly an information hub (and gaming :p) so that I always have access to specific information (Like my Xenique Framework to-do list).

19. Kevin
    Cheerful

The rumors of Apple having a smaller iPad are starting up again. :coffee:

When Jobs was alive he was firmly against a 7"' (or similar sized) iPad even though prototypes were supposedly worked on. With the success of 7" tablets like the Kindle Fire & Nook, the reaction to the new Nexus 7, and Microsoft's table plans, it looks like the current powers at Apple are rethinking their decision to not go after that market segment.

The rumors are that the new "iPad Mini" will be 7.85", be about half the price of the current iPad 3, no Retina display like the iPad 3 has, and the same thickness as the iPad 2. If I was a cynical person I'd guess that somebody dusted off the old prototypes for a quick response to the current surge of popularity of smaller tablets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Forsaken

And then they're sue every 7" tablet maker for copying the form factor of the iPad mini! And damn be prior art!

• Like Like x 2