1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beer-Bacon Chuck Roast

Discussion in 'Bacon Recipes' started by southernlady, Jul 2, 2012.

1. southernlady
    Hot

southernlady New Member

Beer-Bacon Chuck Roast

* 3-4 pound chuck roast

* 2 -3 large onions

* 8 - 10 slices or up to 1/2 pound bacon

* 2 tablespoons German (or any whole grain) mustard

* 1 can of beer

* Beef or Chicken Stock or water as needed [see directions]

* Salt and pepper to taste.

Pre-heat oven to 350. Peel onions and cut into large chunks. Place in food processor with bacon and chop fine.

Heat a large dutch oven, and put bacon/onion mix in hot pan. Cook until onions are soft, even a little golden. Move mixture to the edges of the pot.

Salt and pepper roast. Brown on both sides in the pan, 4-5 minutes a side (medium to medium high heat works best for the onions and the meat). Add entire can of beer. Add chicken or beef stock (or water) so that liquid comes up 1/2 way on the meat. Stir the onions and bacon into the liquid. Bring to a boil on the stove top.

Once it comes to a boil, cover tightly and place in the oven for 1.5 hours.

Take out of oven and stir in 2 Tablespoons of mustard, and place back in oven for another 1 to 1.5 hours. Remove roast from pan and let rest on cutting board for 10 minutes.

The sauce is thick in the pan. You can eat as is, or strain, add some additional stock, and make a gravy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. baconlover
    Baconlover

baconlover Member

I've never tried beer with bacon before, sounds interesting :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kevin
    Cheerful

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Member

This one really has my attention. The only change I will likely make though is to omit the onion. Without the onion I can then share it with Buster (my fuzzy sidekick). :)

4. Forsaken

Forsaken Lord of all bacon

I'd be careful feeding dogs beer:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Kevin
    Cheerful

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Member

I did not know that! :eek: Thanks for the heads-up. Except for the rare cooking with it we don't have beer in the house so it is not something I would've thought of.

6. Forsaken

Forsaken Lord of all bacon

Even if you burn off the alcohol, I think its still dangerous. It is rare though, and generally specific to most dogs, but it's better not to take chances.

I only knew about this, and a few others because one of the dogs I had growing up died due to my grandfather giving it beer. Probably one of the worst things to see happen to them as well.